Working Format Election Procedure
Article 1: Election procedure
- Board members are elected by the general members meeting of the AEGEE-Academy. This means that in principle, the general members meeting ratifies and installs the board based on the outcome of the digital election procedure. The details of the digital elections are explained in Article 2.
- An exception to Article 1.1 is made when ? after completion of the digital election procedure as described in Article 2 ? there is/are still (a) vacanc(y)(ies). In case of (a) vacanc(y)(ies), a member of the AEGEE-Academy may candidate after the digital election procedure.
- He/she can do so by handing in his/her candidature to the chair of the general members meeting before the opening. During the general members meeting, where the candidate is physically present, the candidature has to be presented.
- The newly elected board members have to be approved by the Comit? Directeur of AEGEE-Europe in accordance with the specifications in the statutes.
- In principle, there are six board members to be elected.
- Upon request by the board, the general members meeting may decide that only for the subsequent term an exception to Article 1.5 can be made.
- Board members are appointed for a period of half a year in between two subsequent general members meetings of the AEGEE-Academy.
Article 2: Digital elections
- Due to geographical distance and related travel costs, the AEGEE-Academy chooses to elect its board members via a system of digital elections.
- The digital elections, replace the election procedure during the general members meeting with the exception as outlined in Article 1.
- The digital elections consist of four steps to be handled and supervised in principle by independent jurors, who will then form the Election Committee (EC).
- Five weeks before the general members meeting, the EC explains the digital election procedure including the time schedule of the various (detailed) steps in the digital election and the validity of votes and communicates this to the AEGEE-Academy members.
- Five weeks before the general members meeting, the EC invites candidates to post their candidatures on the Academy-List. Candidates can do so for a period of one week after which the candidatures list will be closed. The positions that candidates are able to candidate for are speaker, treasurer, secretary, or general boardmember up to a total of three.
- After that, the members of the AEGEE-Academy, for one week, have the opportunity to post questions to the candidates on the Academy-List. For two more days following this period, the candidates still get the opportunity to answer all questions.
- Following the question & answer round, two weeks are reserved to allow the AEGEE-Academy members to cast their votes.
- Only valid votes will be counted. A valid vote is a vote cast according to the rules laid out by the independent jurors as specified in Article 2.3.a.
- Ultimately four days before the general members meeting of the AEGEE-Academy the results of the voting procedure will be announced on the Academy-List.
- When out of the six chosen boardmembers more then three have the same nationality, the three with the highest amount of votes will be part of the board, and the fourth will have to resign his/her position. The next candidate from a different nationality will then be elected as a boardmember.
- During the general members meeting the digital election results are validated. With a 2/3 majority, the general members meeting can object to the digital election results if there are substantial grounds to suspect that the procedures of the digital election have not been followed.
- In case the general members meeting, according to Article 2.3 objects to the digital election results, the results are automatically invalid. In this case, new digital elections have to be held within a reasonable time frame but no later than one month after the general members meeting.
- Until that time, the incumbent board will continue to carry out the daily running of the AEGEE-Academy.